lunedì 17 ottobre 2016

Understanding the flour

A balanced dough on the bench waiting  for scaling 





...
Autumn came, with the first snow and made everything quiter. The forest is getting coated by those beautiful colors, which every year amaze me. So beautiful is nature!
I got a beautiful smelling cup of grey tea with honey, so I can start write this piece.
...





Sometimes we want to replicate a bread recipe, or we want to try a well known one but using a new kind of flour and the result isn' t as expected. Maybe the dough comes out too stiff (in which case is easier to correct) or maybe it comes out almost batter-like. 
Altough can be many the factors that lead to a not-so-good result while execute a bread recipe, a missread of the flour used can be the most recurring (and most of the time a problem for the inexperienced baker).
Without writing down a copy of the many existant technical guides to flour's rheology; I want to share my personal opinion learnt throught the experience.





When a proper balance is estabilished within flour and other ingredients, also the shaped dough will be balanced. 




But, before that, I ll try to resume in a few words the most important flour carachteristics involved into the baking process.

1.Quality of proteins and level in percentage:

Two distinct aspects which are very important. I should say the most interesting of the two is proteins quality; When they are good, we can expect a nice development of the gluten net. 
Even if the proteins are low, but of a good kind, we are able to make a nice bread dough without many problems.
On the other hand, we can expect less water absorbtion.
Assuming we have the same protein quality, the flour which will have a higher percentage, will develope a stronger gluten net and will absporb more water.


2.Elasticity and extensibility of the gluten strands:

It' s strictly related to the proteins quality (another time we can see that the quality is very important).
A flour can produce gluten which is really elastic and not extensible as well as the opposite or a blend of the two characteristics in different rapport.
When we have a good protein quality, we will have a balanced rapport between elasticity and extensibility, making the dough easy to work with.


My opinion is that when we try a new flour, (in a empyric way, without having flour sheets) we have to carefully "read" it. 
The way it mix with water, how much liquid can absorb without a proper mixing, if when stretched we feel stiffness or a lack of resistance...
All of those little things we should feel and be able to understand. 
With this kind of knowledge, we will be able to decide if more water is needed (or maybe less water then the original recipe); If a fold or more are needed, which will be the amount of bulk fermentation time required and so on...

This is just a guideline, there are so many variables that it' s not possible to mention every possible scenery. 
However, I hope that I will give something to you to think about next time you mix a new dough.

Sincerly, 
Matteo





3 commenti:

  1. Really appreciate your inputs yeh knowledge that you share...it helps the amateur bakers like me,,I m a self taught since just few months..but love baking breadsthank you🙏🏻#bread_umbaker

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you! I am sure you willdo great breads, passion is everything!

      Elimina
  2. Hello Matteo. I have been following you on instagram and now I am finally reading the blog. I am a passionate baker and I will start my little bakey soon. The information you share with us is very helpful!! It is so "technical". This subject about new flours is very important for me. It will be my very first task. To choose my supplier. I hope I can find good stoneground flour! Thank you so much! I will keep studying now. :)
    Ana
    PS: I can't wait to go back and visit Italy

    RispondiElimina