mercoledì 28 settembre 2016

About seasons and fermentation



Hello everyone!
I got a feeling every time that a season pass by and another one come. All my ferments, starters, kefir grains, pasta madre, change the way they work. Ok, you will say, nothing new! Temps are changing (either lowering down or getting higher depending on season) so fermentation times and quality change right? Well, I usually run every fermentation in a controlled way, so Temps are always under my control as well as time  etc...
But, I did notice that our little friends keep changing their behaviour either becoming more sluggish in autumn-winter or frenzied by the sparkling spring air or again overcharged of acids in the summer.
And this is not under my control. I can keep Temps always at 25°c, keep the same refreshing rates but the result of the fermentation it' s still slightly different accordingly to the season. May sound weird but it' s a fact. Natural ferments are alive and doesn't matter how one try to manipulate a living system, nature always have the last word !


10 commenti:

  1. Hello, this is Matt (matts_miche from IG). Great start to your blog. Always best to start at the beginning with the starters. I always felt that new bakers tend to fail in this area and when someone asks me for help on their bake, I usually ask about their starter. Can't wait to read your upcoming posts.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. hello my friend ! thank you for passing by :) appreciate your comment

      Elimina
  2. Ciao sono Rossella Allpurposeflours (pagurobernardo ) IG . Grazie per questa tua iniziativa, ti guardo e ti leggo sempre con attenzione. Ti auguro cose belle.

    RispondiElimina
  3. Hi Matteo, interesting information you are sharing, thanks. I love that we are now in Spring in Australia and the temps make things far more user friendly!

    RispondiElimina
  4. Another great post.Keep writing. (@receitasdepao)

    RispondiElimina
  5. Cool! yes it' s always a joy the end of cold season isn' t it?

    RispondiElimina
  6. Great post! Very helpful and stunning photos!

    RispondiElimina